1. Diploma requirements
Your level of education should be comparable to the Dutch VWO (pre-university/high-school) level, and include mathematics. To see if your diploma is equivalent to the Dutch VWO diploma please check this list of diplomas. If your diploma is not on this list, you may still be admissible. Your diploma will be evaluated by the Admissions Office after you have submitted your online application.
2. English proficiency requirements
It is essential that you start your studies in IBP with a good level of written and spoken English, as the programme is taught in English, and you will have to do all your studying and writing in English. When you apply, you have to include proof of your proficiency in English, unless you:
- will complete/have completed your education in Canada (except Quebec), the USA, the UK, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia;
- will obtain/have obtained UK A-levels or an (English-taught) International Baccalaureate or a European Baccalaureate with English as language 1;
- will successfully complete/have successfully completed the Dutch VWO.
If the above does not apply to you, you will have to provide other proof of proficiency, using one of the tests below. Please note the proficiency test scores must not be older than 2 years at the time of the application deadline. Make sure you take the language test as early as possible! There is a limited number of test dates for these tests, so make sure you sign up early. Also, it may take up to 6 weeks for the results to be known. We accept the following tests and minimum scores for IBP:
- The International English Language Testing System (IELTS), academic module. Minimum score of 6.5;
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Minimum scores are 90 (internet-based) / 570 (paper-based). Original test results should be sent directly by the Educational Testing Service. The TOEFLinstitution code for Leiden University is 0504;
- Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE: Grade A, B, or C) or Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE).
3. Mathematics proficiency requirements
The level of mathematics that we require is pre-university level. This means a VWO diploma (all profiles), an IB diploma (all levels of maths, but if you do Maths Studies make sure you get a high grade), or (academic) A-levels with mathematics at AS or A level (mathematics atGCSE level is generally not enough). For other diplomas, the general rule is that you should have taken final exams in mathematics. The admissions office will assess your level to see if you meet the admissibility requirements.