Why Leiden University?
The Bachelor of Arts programme Philosophy: Global and Comparative Perspectives:
- is taught completely in English
- features Western philosophy as well as philosophies from India, East Asia, and the Arab world, making the programme unique in the Netherlands, and one of the few worldwide
- welcomes you in an international environment with students and lecturers from all over the world
- is based on the Leiden Philosophy programme’s excellent quality, according to student surveys and benchmarking reports
- offers small tutorial groups, complementing your lectures, as well as a personal, academic tutor for each student
- paves the way to excellent career opportunities in a globalising world
More than 20,000 students of Leiden University walk, bike, and live in the narrow streets of Leiden every day, making the city come to life. This beautiful time lapse and stop motion video is brought to you by our enthusiastic students! Check out their Leiden Experience.
Study in a booming knowledge region
The bachelor’s programme in Philosophy immerses you in the stimulating environment of the city of Leiden, a booming knowledge region between The Hague and Amsterdam. Leiden offers academic challenges, but it is also an excellent place for living and recreation.
- …has an excellent Humanities faculty: Ranked #1 in continental Europe in the 2016 Times Higher Education World University Rankings and #17 in the world. The faculty is an international centre for study of the world’s languages, cultures and history.
- is a capital of museums, with no less than thirteen amazing museums within walking distance of one another;
- is a beautiful historical town, featuring picturesque canals, impressive mansions, charming narrow streets, and delightful parks;
- is a genuine university town, offering a friendly atmosphere with attractive bars and pavement cafés, affordable restaurants, and many student associations;
- is ideally situated, with seaside and beaches nearby (biking distance), and excellent train connections to The Hague (11 minutes), Schiphol Airport (15 minutes), and Amsterdam and Rotterdam (30 minutes).
Immerse yourself in the city and your programme.
Special thanks to Museum Volkenkunde Leiden for the photo, taken at the Museum’s famous Buddha-room.