Why Dutch Studies in Leiden?
- The programme is unique: Leiden University is the only place where international students can follow a full academic programme in Dutch Studies;
- Aside from learning to speak and write the language, you will also get to know Dutch culture;
- Get to know the history of the Netherlands, its art history and its literature in this interdisciplinary programme in Dutch Studies;
- Study in the country of Rembrandt, Vermeer and Van Gogh;
- Follow lectures by top-level academics; research and education are closely interrelated;
- Study at a small personally orientated programme with an average of 30 new students each year;
- You may expect intensive, personal guidance from your first year right up to graduation.
Leiden, close to Amsterdam and The Hague
Leiden is an authentic Dutch town with beautiful historic monuments and canals. Student life is concentrated predominantly in the town centre. The University, the station and most of the shops are all within walking distance. Furthermore, Leiden has a huge student community. There are many interesting museums, such as the National Museum of Ethnology, the Municipal Museum ‘De Lakenhal’ and the Siebold House. Leiden is situated near larger cities such as The Hague, Rotterdam and Amsterdam: less than 30 minutes by train!
Leiden University has always been very internationally orientated. Students and staff from all parts of the world find their way to Leiden. The numerous partnerships and other contacts with academic institutions in many countries emphasise the University’s international focus.
League of European Research Universities
The focus on academic research of international standing is characteristic of the Leiden signature. Leiden University fully intends to remain among the top Universities in Europe. The University is founder and member of the League of European Research Universities and cooperates closely with other prominent universities such as Oxford, Heidelberg and Leuven. Leiden also maintains contacts with many universities outside Europe.