**The requirements for the Archaeology programme are a Dutch pre-university education (VWO) diploma or equivalent, and proficiency in English.
You will be admitted directly to the Bachelor’s programme in Archaeology if you are in the possession of:
- a Dutch Pre-university education (VWO) diploma with no further requirements of your subject cluster
- an official Bachelor or Master diploma from a Dutch university (universiteit) or university of applied sciences (hogeschool)
In all other cases, no matter whether you are a Dutch or an international student, you have to apply for admission first, before you can register for the programme.
- If your diploma is considered comparable to a VWO diploma, and your level of English proficiency is sufficient too (see below), you will be admitted to the programme.
- If you have an European Baccalaureate or an International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma (full programme), you will be admitted to the programme
- If your diploma is an official Bachelor Propedeuse diploma from a Dutch university of applied sciences (hogeschool), with an average level of 7 and a Dutch Senior/Higher General Secondary Education (HAVO) diploma with a 7 for English, you will be admitted to the programme.
- If your diploma is not comparable, you may nevertheless be admitted to the programme, provided that certain additional requirements are met, such as good grades and/or passing entrance exams at VWO level or equivalent. Your motivation may also be taken into account. You can check the list of international diplomas of the Admissions Office to see whether your diploma is sufficient or not.
English proficiency requirements
It is essential that at the start of your Archaeology programme you have a good level of proficiency in written and spoken English, as the programme is taught in English, and you will have to do all your studying and writing in English. (For Dutch students, most courses will be offered at least partly in Dutch during the first year.)
You will be exempted from having to take the English test if you have:
- completed your education (secondary and/or higher) in Canada (English-taught programme), the USA, the UK, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia;
- obtained an (English-taught) International Baccalaureate Diploma;
- successfully completed the Dutch VWO.
- an official Bachelor Propedeuse diploma from a Dutch university of applied sciences (hogeschool), with an average level of 7 and a Dutch Senior/Higher General Secondary Education (HAVO) diploma with a 7 for English
Please, submit proof when you apply for admission.
If the above does not apply to you, you will have to provide proof of your proficiency, by means of one of the tests below. You have to organise the test yourself. You can take the test before or after you apply for admission. Please, be advised to prepare and register in time. Leiden University accepts three kinds of official tests:
- The International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Academic modules only. Minimum score of 6.5.
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Minimum scores are 570 (paper-based) / 230 (computer-based) / 90 (internet based). Original test results should be sent directly by the Educational Testing Service. The TOEFL institution code for Leiden University is 0504. Institutional TOEFL tests are not accepted;
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English/ Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (grade A-C)