Why participate in an Introduction Week?
- Get to know your student city! The events of the week will take place at various locations around Leiden or The Hague, which is also a great way of learning to find your way around the city.
- Meet lots of new people. You will be assigned to a group of approximately 15 students who will partially study at the same faculty. Two Dutch or international students will guide you around the city and help you out with any questions you have. These guides will show you the local culture, the best places of the city and teach you everything you need to know about student life in your new home town.
- Jump ahead in getting familiar with your faculty and your studies. You will get the chance to attend an introduction at your faculty to see what your study at Leiden University is all about.
- Take part in an entertaining evening programme and discover the cities’ night life!
- Immerse in Dutch culture! What better way to experience the student life is there than participating in their cultural activities, sightseeing and getting to know the Dutch and their characteristics through fun games?
Orientation Week Leiden
Are you about to start studying at Leiden University? Then we invite you to take part in the best introduction to The Netherlands, the city and the University: The OWL! Enjoy five days of fun, music, culture, sports, games and making new friends. We designed the events during the week especially for people new to the city and University. It will definitely be an unforgettable start of your study period abroad!
The Hague Orientation Programme
If you’re going to live in The Hague and study at one of Leiden University’s The Hague based institutions, you can take part in the first official The HOPweek! It is a 5-day introduction programme for all Dutch and international students in The Hague. Two mentors will guide your group of about 15 students throughout an amazing programme. They will show you around the city and the beach, you will visit your faculty and meet students from all different studies. You will be introduced to all student initiatives and get to know The Hague’s vibrant night life. Also, The HOP will show you what The Hague has to offer in the area of politics and international relations.
Introductionweek EL CID
For full bachelor students who want to learn Dutch, speak it already and/or are interested in joining a Dutch student association, the introductionweek EL CID is very useful and great fun. This week (mainly Dutch) starts earlier than the OWL, mostly already in the second week of Augustus.